Remove this ad

What Type of Family History Do You Plan to Write?

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

#61 [url]

Feb 10 13 11:48 AM

Thanks, Betty Ann. I appreciate the suggestions and will keep them in mind.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#62 [url]

Feb 10 13 12:20 PM

This is how I placed my source at the end of the book- showing each chapter and its individual source. I have a key to the abbreviations at the top of page and some other references too.

The Edward River.

-Saltbush Country, History of the Deniliquin District, by John E. P. Bushby – p. 293, 294.

The Calf Pen.

-Saltbush Country by John E.P. Bushby – p. 293, 294.

-S.M.H. – 3rd February 1856

-Argus – 22nd February 1856 (New South Wales Justice)

-Argus – 2nd April 1856

-Argus – 3rd September 1856

-Saltbush Country by John E.P. Bushby – p. 64, reference to school and teacher.

-Argus – 2nd April 1856 – reference to school and teacher.

-S.M.H - 19th July 1856 – reference to Joseph requiring land.

-S.M.H. - 16th June 1857 – Deniliquin lock up.

-Argus – 17th November 1855 – John Taylor succeeds in obtaining licence.

Home

-Shipping records – State library, Clayton library.

Trouble with Taylor

-Saltbush Country by John E.P. Bushby- p. 65, reference to horse shoe prices.

Margaret

Quote    Reply   

#63 [url]

Feb 10 13 12:31 PM

Thanks, Lynn.  I've been researching the family for about 16 years. It's not so much lack of evidence as it is, just not having much on some people. For example, I had a gg aunt who died at age 33. I have very little on her.  Her husband, however, lived a normal lifespan and was frequently in the newspapers.  He also wrote quite a few articles that were published in farm journals and I have several pictures of him..  I could probably write a book on him but haven't come up with much to write on her. I thought about telling what a typical farm wife and mother's day was like but am afraid it will come across awkward like I'm just trying to fill space.

I'm writing by decade. The biggest part I'm having trouble with is 2 decades where I had no stories passed down and the family didn't appear in the newspapers.  All I have for those decades is vital records and censuses so those 2 chapters basically only tell where they lived, who got married, who was born, and who died.

I'm writing it in 3rd person.  Here's my table of contents for what I've written so far. You can see that a few chapters are named after the decade and are only a few pages long.  These are the ones where they were "silent", except for vital records.  All were farm families living in rural areas in tiny villages in west central Ohio.

Preface ....................................................................................................................................................................i.
Introduction ...........................................................................................................................................................ii.
Chapter I.        The Road to Ohio...........................................................................................................................1.
Chapter II.       The Greene County Years ............................................................................................................6.
Chapter III.      Leaving Greene County .............................................................................................................11.
Chapter IV.      The Civil War Years ..................................................................................................................15.
Chapter V.       The 1860's, the Remaining Years ..............................................................................................25. 
Chapter VI.      The 1870's..................................................................................................................................27.
Chapter VII.    The 1880's..................................................................................................................................29.
Chapter VIII.   The Early 1890's........................................................................................................................35.
Chapter IX.      Senora’s Aunt............................................................................................................................37. Chapter X.       The End of the Century..............................................................................................................40.
Chapter XI.     Turning the Century...................................................................................................................45.
Chapter XII.    Mary Carder and Albert Firestine..............................................................................................                                                                                                                                       Thanks.
                                                                                                     Debbie

Quote    Reply   

#64 [url]

Feb 10 13 12:34 PM

Thanks, Lynn.  I've been researching the family for about 16 years. It's not so much lack of evidence as it is, just not having much on some people. For example, I had a gg aunt who died at age 33. I have very little on her.  Her husband, however, lived a normal lifespan and was frequently in the newspapers.  He also wrote quite a few articles that were published in farm journals and I have several pictures of him..  I could probably write a book on him but haven't come up with much to write on her. I thought about telling what a typical farm wife and mother's day was like but am afraid it will come across awkward like I'm just trying to fill space.

I'm writing by decade. The biggest part I'm having trouble with is 2 decades where I had no stories passed down and the family didn't appear in the newspapers.  All I have for those decades is vital records and censuses so those 2 chapters basically only tell where they lived, who got married, who was born, and who died.

I'm writing it in 3rd person.  Here's my table of contents for what I've written so far. You can see that a few chapters are named after the decade and are only a few pages long.  These are the ones where they were "silent", except for vital records.  All were farm families living in rural areas in tiny villages in west central Ohio.

Preface ....................................................................................................................................................................i.
Introduction ...........................................................................................................................................................ii.
Chapter I.        The Road to Ohio...........................................................................................................................1.
Chapter II.       The Greene County Years ............................................................................................................6.
Chapter III.      Leaving Greene County .............................................................................................................11.
Chapter IV.      The Civil War Years ..................................................................................................................15.
Chapter V.       The 1860's, After the War..............................................................................................25. 
Chapter VI.      The 1870's..................................................................................................................................27.
Chapter VII.    The 1880's..................................................................................................................................29.
Chapter VIII.   The Early 1890's........................................................................................................................35.
Chapter IX.      Senora’s Aunt............................................................................................................................37. Chapter X.       The End of the Century..............................................................................................................40.
Chapter XI.     Turning the Century...................................................................................................................45.
Chapter XII.    Mary Carder and Albert Firestine..............................................................................................                                                                                                                                       Thanks.
                                                                                                     Debbie

Quote    Reply   

#65 [url]

Feb 11 13 6:18 AM

Lynn, thanks for that response. I understand your thoughts now. Guess I was just surprised to hear genealogists talking about not including footnotes. Thanks again for clearing that up. Colleen

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#66 [url]

Mar 10 13 6:11 PM

Wow, SO many interesting projects!! I'm excited to see there are several other people who are like me, planning on making a historical fiction novel out of their family histories. I decided to do mine that way for a couple of reasons, the main one being the lack of information out there about my 5x great grandmother - lots of info on her husband, but next to nothing on her. I just feel like the poor woman deserves a story! ;) Of course I am going to include as many facts as possible, but I know I am going to have to fill in a LOT of gaps... I am going to attempt to make it as realistic as I can, which means I am spending a lot of time researching the history of the time and place (18th century Kentucky frontier - think Daniel Boone, Indian raids, etc. etc.). Very interesting stuff, but a TON of work!

Quote    Reply   

#67 [url]

Mar 13 13 10:09 AM

Mitzi, are you writing anything about the Cumberland Gap?  I'm focusing on that at the moment.  Ancestors from Pennsylvania to Virginia to North Carolina, to Tennessee, and finally to Kentucky. Also trying to find if they came from England, Ireland, Germany, or Scotland.  Really like your site.

Bettyann Schmidt rhinegirl.blogspot.cim

Quote    Reply   

#68 [url]

Mar 14 13 11:07 PM

Hey Bettyann, yes I imagine I will write a bit about Cumberland Gap, at the very least the journey through from Virginia to Kentucky. At least that is how it is looking right now, unless I happen to find some information that my ancestor wasn't from Virginia after all (I'm still digging, all I have to go on right now are notes that people posted online... grrrr.... lol). I read a great book about the migration to KY called Running Mad For Kentucky - Frontier Travel Accounts - most of the stories are about coming down the Ohio River, but there were a few Cumberland Gap stories in there also.

Quote    Reply   

#69 [url]

Mar 19 13 8:48 AM

Thanks for the book link, Mitzi!  I found a place online that has awesome historic photos, but you have to pay.  Still, I'm planning to purchase a few.  Northwind Pictures.com  -- I know how you feel about Virginia.  That's where I'm at too, online posts that say my 3rd great grandparents came from there, but can't really say the records are for MY ancestors or someone else.  Hard work but love it!

Bettyann Schmidt rhinegirl.blogspot.cim

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help