Remove this ad

Pioneer Women of the Appalacains

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Feb 2 13 11:22 PM

Tags : :

That is the title of my very first attempt in this writing challenge.  I have always wanted to write a family history from the view of the females.   I truly hope I will succeed.  I have never attempted anything so challenging in all my 60 years.  I am not very computer literate and am completely self taught so I am learning as I go.  We shall see.... at least I am going to try. Am I supposed to attach what I have done so far?  I truly don't know what to do or expect.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 3 13 2:22 PM

I love your title!  It sounds wonderful, something I'd love to read because I love to read about other women and their accomplishments.  I thought I'd never taken on anything so challenging either when I first started researching for this book.  I guess I still feel that way, but I'm doing it.  It's a fun, exciting journey even though hard work some days.

Bettyann Schmidt rhinegirl.blogspot.cim

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 4 13 6:13 PM

Thank you Bettyann.  Your encouragement means a lot.  I would love to put my story on a blog so that others could read as I go along but I do not know how to create a blog.  Could you give me any pointers?

Louise

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 5 13 8:14 AM

Louise, I think I mentioned Blogger which is the easiest to start on.  Click on the link, sign up -- everything is self-explanatory.  Probably should think about what you want your blog's name to be.  Blogger gives you the web address for your blog-- your URL.  The first blog I started about 10 years ago, I wanted to call it Journey to Find.  Blogger gave me the address http://journey2f.blogspot.com.

Since then I've added my Rhine Girl family history blog.  http://rhinegirl.blogspot.com.  

Once you're signed up, pick a template.  Blogger takes you to the page to do this.  You need not stress over this because you can change it to your heart's desire.  Mine has probably been changed at least a dozen times.  The easiest way to start is just to pick a one-column simple page.  You'll grow your blog with time and add side bars and much more.

Then you more or less fill in your "layout" page.  You don't need to add any pictures or anything at this point if you don't want to.  You can simply click on "new post" and write your first blog post.  You can always add things and dress up your layout as you go.  Look at other Blogger member blogs and get ideas from them.  

Most of the time I write my posts in Word and copy and paste to my blog, but sometimes I write directly on the new post page in Blogger.  You don't have to "Publish" your blog if you don't want to.  It saves by itself, so you can always go back to your post and edit, add to, or delete.  When you get to the point where you want to publish to the internet, you click on the button that says "publish."  You can still go back and update any time you want.  Then you just keep adding posts.  The rest will be "history!"  b.  

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 6 13 12:32 AM

I really appreciate this Bettyann and I will eventually start a blog but I have decided to put it off  because I don't want to get distracted from the actual writing challenge so I have decided at this point to upload my file here.  I have also asked on the topic;  Share your Blog:  whether I should upload it there.  I am waiting for a response.  I will however, upload it tonight here.  I had a lot of mistakes in my records and did a lot of rewriting but this is what I have so far.

Click here to view the attachment

Louise

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 6 13 5:30 AM

Hi Louise, I started a new thread for those who want to share their writing and are looking for feedback. I'm going to move your above post to that thread so we can keep all the critiques together. 

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 6 13 5:33 AM

Nope I couldn't pull the thread out, so perhaps Louise you want to re-post it in Group Critiques or add further post of your writing there. It will just make it easier for everyone to have the critiques in one place. 

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 6 13 9:33 PM

Lynn: 

Thanks.  I will go to Group Critiques and upload now.

Louise

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Feb 19 13 4:57 AM

I have also been writing my family history from the view of females. It's challenging and fun. Takes a lot more imagination and reading between the lines, I think, than writing from the male viewpoint where there is so much more concrete evidence. Interestingly, my ancestors were also from Appalachia. :-)

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 19 13 8:42 AM

I feel the same way about the "feminine" viewpoint. I would love to write a history of the females in my family, and maybe I will eventually.  My mother's family lived in what's called "the foothills of Appalachia" in Kentucky.  

I like reading women's memoirs a lot.  I connect with the authors.  My favorites have been The Liar's Club and The Glass Castle.  I should probably skim through them some to get some inspiration for what I'm doing.

Glad you're thinking of a blog.  Once you get started, you'll be glad you did probably.  You can have one that is not online for anyone to see.  Kind of like a private journal, which really helps your writing.  Also a great place to keep writing organized.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Feb 19 13 12:52 PM

ztnoble

Glad to hear I am not alone in writing about our female ancestors.  May I ask which part of  the Appalachians you are from?  Looking forward to reading if you care to share.

Louise

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 20 13 5:05 AM

litbou,
My ancestors came primarily from Smyth, Bland, Tazewell, and Washington Counties in Virginia and from Wilkes and Iredell Counties in North Carolina. What part of Appalachia are yours from?
I've written bits and pieces over the years, but I've started a new piece with this writing challengs. Maybe I'll get the courage to share soon. :-)
Zola

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help