Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Mar 10 13 2:54 PM

Thanks, Zola.  You're right of course, and I'm glad you posted this to make me think.  I have only written strictly nonfiction up until this book.  How-to articles and book reviews.  I like your explanation.  

Bettyann Schmidt rhinegirl.blogspot.cim

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Mar 10 13 5:12 PM

This is very interesting! I'm approaching my book as historical fiction, because I figure I am going to have so many gaps to fill that I really couldn't call it anything else. I'm working on gathering all the information that is available, and then I am going to use it as a framework, and fill in the unknown with my own ideas.

I will be sure to read a few of the books recommended here, I've not really read any creative non-fiction before (not that I know of, anyway) so it will be interesting to try to compare it to regular historical fiction and see where the differences lie...

Oh and as far as footnotes go, I'm thinking of having a "fact vs. fiction" section in the back where I sort everything out for the readers who might be interested. I figure this is especially important for readers who are family members, maybe not so much for the general reader, but who knows, if they like the book enough they may want to delve deeper into the real history too!

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Mar 11 13 5:25 AM

I bought 'Tell it Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction" yesterday. I have only read the first chapter. It has so much good stuff that I put it down to read today without company, kids, husband, and pets wanting my attention. Each section I read prompted more ideas and I have to thank Zola for sharing it.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Mar 11 13 5:46 PM

I learned the most by reading the genre and seeing which publishers like which type of citation. I'm still not sure if there is a difference between historical narrative and creative nonfiction.

The authors I would look at are: David McCullough, David Cecelski, Adam Goodheart. The "blind notation" above looks like APA (psychology) format. 

As I stated in an earlier post, the National Endowment of the Humanities requires authors in this genre to follow David McCullough's style. They do not like anything to interrupt the flow of the narrative. Essentially what is done is that there are end notes, as Lynn wrote above, separated by chapter guides in the header and page guides in the footer. Then, the first part of the note is the first phrase of the sentence written in italics, followed by the note.

What I do not like about many books today using this style is that they lack a bibliography, and the full biblio info of the document is abbreviated. I do believe it is important for a genealogist or an historian to present their work in a manner which allows others to replicate their research for verification.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#25 [url]

Mar 12 13 4:24 AM

Woodstock16, I'm glad you're finding Tell It Slant to be helpful and Interesting. To all, if you want to read a quintessential family history, creative nonfiction, read Family, by Ian Frazier. He uses the blind footnote method that Lynn mentioned--in the back, by chapter. Each note begins with the page number where the reader can find the passage to which the note applies.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Mar 13 13 9:57 AM

Thanks for posting those authors, Deb.  Not so much for seeing the blind notation, but for the books themselves.  Especially interesting to me is Adam Goodheart's 1861:The Civil War Awakening, since I'm currently researching some more as I edit the chapter dealing with my 2nd great grandfather in the civil war.   Big help.

Bettyann Schmidt rhinegirl.blogspot.cim

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Mar 14 13 4:38 AM

I like that idea, Mitzi. Whenever I read historical fiction, I always wish authors would do let me know what is fact and what is fiction. Once I read a fiction book about Tecumseh, so then I had to find one that was nonfiction to see how much of the fiction book was true. Deb, I agree that it's important to let readers know your sources, and I like bibliographies. Even if your readers don't check your work, they might see something in the bibliography that will inform their own research.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Mar 14 13 12:31 PM

Well, my coach just turned into a pumpkin, but all I have is a first draft.

A Tale of Two Brothers can be viewed at "www.nonoandpapa.com/Tale of Two Brothers.pdf"

After I give this to my 100 year old Aunt in California, I will have to begin the second draft.

Criticisms would be welcom.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help