Remove this ad

Getting feedback from established authors

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Mar 17 12 4:00 AM

Tags : :

I am loving the book Oh Beautiful by John Paul Godges...so much that I wrote to the author. He not only emailed me a wonderful response, but commented on a blog post! Stop by and check it out if you'd like!

Debra
In Black and White: Cross-Cultural Genealogy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 18 12 6:35 PM

I hope it didn't sound like I was honking my own horn here... As I thought about it today, I thought perhaps I should follow up.

I have a habit of contacting authors whose books I enjoy, and Mr. Godges was so pleased that Lynn had shared his book with us. Like most authors I've contacted, he is very helpful and freely offered some great advice. I just put this out there to encourage other family history writers to not feel intimidated or removed from established writers. We can all use a little feedback.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 19 12 4:55 AM

Thanks Deb for sharing. Oh, Beautiful is a wonderful family narrative  and yes Mr. Godges is a very gracious and generous author. You can see why I sing his virtues at every opportunity. I'm heading over to read your post now. 

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 21 12 6:59 PM

He hit on something there...the court appointed apprenticeship. I went back to the details to try to determine a date of death for Isaac Carter's parents' deaths. After looking at the laws of forced apprenticeship in North Carolina for that time period, I discovered (with a little help from my favorite New Bern librarian) that the parents actually would've died a year prior to when I placed it because of a law that states that one year after the child become orphaned, or one year after the parents are no longer gainfully employed, the court orders the Sheriff to summon the children to court so they can be apprenticed out. It also made me think differently about the parents not necessarily dying at the same time...the law would've been enforced upon the death of the second parent. Since it's in a rural area between 1860-1870, my friend suggested looking at the mortality schedules. So...now I really have some more research/reading to do before my final assumptions can be drawn.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help